Friday, June 03, 2005

Sock!

Step 1: String and needles.
Step 2:
Step 3: SOCK!

(Step 2 is actually "Knit it at Dad's. Knit it on the plane. Knit it at my desk. Knit it in the car. Knit it on the couch. Knit on the floor of Ellie's room.", but that doesn't work with my little South Park joke.)

I knit so much last night that I have a weensy blister on the inside of my right pinky, where it was rubbing against the needle. I worked on the foot for quite a while sitting in Ellie's room waiting for her to go to sleep and measuring the desired length against the sock I was wearing.

I was a bit worried about grafting the toe with kitchener, because an earlier attempt on another project did not go well. I had been looking at the illustrations in Vogue Knitting and trying to follow the directions, but I just did not get it at all. Looking for another set on instructions, I pulled out Last Minute Knitted Gifts, which has a short section on technique in the back. She says that she purposely did not include an illustration of the stitch because people are often confused by drawings, but can grasp the concept readily if it's just written out. This is very true in my case, apparently. My toe is perfect. Perfect, I tell you!

I was so very pleased to be done. I demanded much praise from Greg (at one point putting my besocked foot on the counter and saying "Praise me!". Master of subtlety, I am not.). I brought it to work today to show to the friend I am teaching to knit. I rock the sock.

But now I have to do it all over again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I *HEART* socks! As you could tell from my blog. Thanks so much for tip on Unbiased; I think I'll do just what it sayd.

As for kitchener stitch, I learned how to do it from knittinghelp.com and she has a little mantra - knit, purl, purl, knit. Plus, I've found my kitcheners getting better with each sock I do.